Boating Guide 2016

Access digital copies of guides and regulations publications from the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission.

Issue link: http://digital.outdoornebraska.gov/i/597534

Contents of this Issue


Page 5 of 23

6 | Boating Safety Info: 402-471-5462 TITLE Who Must Obtain a Title – All first- time owners of newly acquired motorized vessels must obtain a title from the county treasurer in the county where the owner resides before the county treasurer will issue or renew a registration. A boat must be titled before it may be sold. All boats made before 1972 are exempt from titling, but not from registration. Hull Identification Number – Federal law requires all boats manufactured after Nov. 1, 1972, including homemade boats, display a 12 character Hull Identification Number (HIN). • The character of each HIN must be at least a quarter inch high and located to the starboard outboard side of the transom within 2 inches of the top of the transom, gunwale or hull/deck joint, whichever is lowest. • If a motorboat has no HIN and is newer than a 1972, a new one must be obtained from the Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) before a title and registration can be issued. Applications for HIN are available from the DMV or county treasurer. • Any person who operates a motorboat that requires a certificate of title without having that title is guilty of a Class III misdemeanor. • Any person who operates a motorboat that requires a HIN without that number is guilty of a Class III misdemeanor. Any program that receives federal funding from the Sport Fish Restoration and Boating Trust Fund administered by the U.S. Coast Guard prohibits unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, age, gender, marital status, national origin, age, disability or political affiliation. Any person who believes he or she has been discriminated against in any program, activity, facility, or service, should contact the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission, Lincoln, NE 402- 471-0641, the Equal Opportunity Commission, Lincoln, NE 402-471-2024, TTY/TDD 402-471-4693; United States Fish Wildlife Service, Civil Rights Coordinator, 4401 N. Fairfax Drive, Arlington, VA 22203; Director, Equal Opportunity Program, U.S. Department of Interior, National Park Service, 1849 C Street NW, Mail Code 0008, Washington, D.C. 20240-0001. Common HIN: stamped into fiberglass of transom ABC45678A494 Photo credits: Front cover: U.S. Coast Guard Page 14: Nebraska Invasive Species Program Page 15: Thinkstock Page 18: NEBRASKAland Magazine/NGPC Page 20: NEBRASKAland Magazine/NGPC

Articles in this issue

view archives of OutdoorNebraska - Boating Guide 2016