Big Game Guide 2016

Access digital copies of guides and regulations publications from the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission.

Issue link: http://digital.outdoornebraska.gov/i/678699

Contents of this Issue


Page 39 of 55

36 | Big Game Info: 402-471-0641 PRIVATE LANDS It is the responsibility of every hunter to get permission to hunt, trail game or retrieve downed game on private land, whether posted or not (including railroad right-of-ways). Hunting without permission may result in a ne of up to $500, three months in jail and the loss of hunting privileges for up to three years. PUBLIC LANDS The Nebraska Guide to Hunting and Public Lands and Public Access Atlas list more than 300 publicly owned areas. Refer to that guide for area-specic regulations. Unless otherwise posted, big game hunting is allowed on all wildlife management areas (WMA). Hunting is allowed on most state recreation areas (SRA) beginning the Tuesday following Labor Day. Some areas have specic restrictions: • State parks (SP), wayside areas, hatcheries, reserves, and state refuges are closed to hunting unless otherwise posted. Indian Cave, Niobrara and Ponca SPs are open to archery deer hunting during the last half of the season. A free access permit is required. Contact the park superintendent. • Portable tree stands and steps may be used on WMAs but may not be installed, used or left in place from Feb. 1 - Aug. 31. They may be used on SRAs open to hunting, but must be removed at the end of each day. It is unlawful to build or use any permanent tree stand or steps that attach to any tree with nails, screws, bolts, or wire. Screw-in steps may be used on WMAs but may not be used on SRAs. • On state-owned lands, all motorized vehicles are restricted to roadways and parking areas. No ATVs are permitted. • Target shooting is permitted on most WMAs but prohibited on certain posted areas. • Most national wildlife refuges managed by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and national forests and grasslands managed by the U.S. Forest Service are open to hunting, unless otherwise posted. Check with those agencies for special regulations. WHERE TO HUNT MOUNTAIN LIONS ON CAMERA Game and Parks would like anyone who captures a photo of a mountain lion to contact the nearest agency district office or Sam Wilson, furbearer and carnivore program manager at 402-471-5174 or sam.wilson@nebraska.gov.

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

view archives of OutdoorNebraska - Big Game Guide 2016